Explore Exotic Culture In 5 Of The Best Surf Spots In Morocco
Situated along the Atlantic Ocean, With 1200 miles of unspoiled coastline, Morocco is a beach lover’s dream.
While the beaches in Southern California are touristy and crowded, visitors to Morocco find miles of pristine beaches beckoning adventurers to come and explore.
Morocco’s wild Atlantic coastline provides prime surfing spots for surfers of all levels. Whether you come as a beginner or an expert, you will find the perfect surf spots in Morocco for you.
Where else can you surf in the ocean while camels roam the beach? A trip to Morocco is not your Grandmothers beach vacation!
From Essaouria to Dakhla, let’s head down the coastline and look at the five best surf spots in Morocco.
Essaouira Sports Some Of The Best Surf Spots In Morocco
Ask any surfer where to go in Morocco, and they’ll likely say Essaouira. Cheap local transport options make it easy to get here from major Moroccan cities like Casablanca and Marrakech. If your time is limited, then a stay in Essaouira is perfect for you.
A few things to know about the perfect Essaouira surf trip:
- The windy coastline makes for fantastic surfing, windsurfing, and kite-surfing
- The soft sandy bottom makes this a great spot for beginner surfers
- If you are just starting, consider taking surf lessons here
- This town was made famous by a visit from rock legend Jimi Hendrix
- From the coast, it is possible to see Mogador Island, a protected nature reserve.
- It’s only a three-hour bus ride from Marrakech
Hang Out With The Locals In Sidi Kaouki
Just 30 minutes south of Essaouira, by car, you’ll find the town of Sidi Kaouki. Smaller than Essaouira and a bit less touristy, but still one of the best surf spots in Morocco.
Here are just a few great reasons to put Sidi Kaouk on your travel bucket list:
- Great for bird watching, including flamingos
- Why not ride a camel while you are here?
Pristine beaches are great for beginner surfers and advanced surfers
Taghazout Is World Renowned For Surf Spots In Morrocco
Continuing down the coastline about 85 miles from Sidi Kaouki lies one of the top surf spots in the world! If you are traveling as a group, with a mix of friends who are beginner surfers while others are intermediate or advanced surfers, then Taghazout just may be the perfect surf trip for you.
From newbies to intermediate to expert level surfers, this area offers the best of surfing in Morocco.
Here are just a few of the many reasons you should plan a surf trip to Taghazout:
- A quaint bohemian town with a relaxed surfer vibe
- Easy to reach by public transport from Agadir or Essaouira
- Take a tour out to the sheer limestone cliffs, waterfalls, and natural pools of nearby Paradise Valley
- One of the worlds best locations for surf lessons
Agadir Is A Surftown With Great Nightlife
If you are looking for popular surf spots in Morocco with more of a resort town vibe, then Agadir is the place for you. There is a lively nighttime scene here with great restaurants, bars, lounges, and nightclubs.
The airport in Agadir makes it possible to fly here from Marrakech in only two hours or fly from Casablanca in one.
Here are just a few reasons why you should add Agadir to your list of best surf spots in Morocco:
- Morocco is a hot ticket in the golf world, and Agadir has some of the best golf courses in the country.
- An earthquake in 1960 destroyed the Agadir Kasbah, but some of the walls remain, and you can see them at the top of the hill
- Shop for gifts and souvenirs at the Souk El Had, a market for local goods
- There are world-class resorts here offering traditional spa treatments
Dakhla Provides Surf Spots On The Edge Of The Sahara Desert
Located on a peninsula, the town of Dakhla has gained worldwide attention as one of the best places to go surfing in Morocco.
Dakhla is located in the disputed territory of Western Sahara. While some areas of Western Sahara are off-limits to tourists, it is possible for travelers in this Moroccan-controlled area to roam about freely.
If you are considering visiting some of the Morocco surf spots in Dakhla, here are a few added perks:
- Visitors and athletes come from around the world for the annual Prince Moulay El Hassan GKA Kite-Surf World Tour Dakhla championships.
- Take a high energy 4×4 tour out to the sand dunes of Western Sahara
- It’s just a three-hour flight from Casablanca to the small airport in Dakhla
- From Agadir, the flight is two hours
- Surf spots that are great for advanced surfers and kite surfers
Ready To Go Surfing In Morocco?
Let us plan the perfect all-inclusive adventure for you. Our experienced guide can get you out there surfing in Morocco.
We work with all levels, from beginner surfers to advanced surfers, to plan a trip that is safe, unique, and fun!
Our local tour guides know all the best places to stay, eat, and surf. We can even get you out to some of the hidden surf spots that are only accessible via camel!Go online or call today, and leave the details to us!